Madness Monday - My Richard Poundstone

I have spent a lot of time untwisting the Richard Poundstone branch of the tree into the actual two Richard Poundstones that existed in Illinois.  I cannot begin to tell you how many Ancestry trees, family search trees and websites have combined the two Richard's.

My Richard was born in 1838 Ohio.  He married Susanna Zeck 7 Feb 1861 in Cass County, Indiana.  The 1850, 1860 and 1870 Federal Census show his residence in Deer Creek, Cass, Indiana.  The 1880 Federal Census  shows Richard and Susanna in Whitmore, Macon, Illinois.  The 1900 Federal Census show a residence of Cerro Gordo, Piatt, Illinois.

The "other" Richard Poundstone appears to have been born sometime between 1836 and 1840 in Pennsylvania.  The variance in birth dates suggest that there may yet be another Richard Poundstone's records in question.  This Richard married an Emma.  They are listed in the 1863 Federal tax lists in Illinois and the 1870, 1880 and 1900 Federal Census in Farm Ridge, LaSalle, Illinois.

The Richard's both served in the Civil War.  The "other" Richard served the Union in the 10th Illinois Cavalry and then in the 15th Illinois Cavalry.  I also located a Richard Poundstone that served in the Civil War that enlisted in Chicago.  My Richard Poundstone continues to elude the tracing of Civil War records.  He is listed as a veteran of war at the cemetery he is buried at.  Could there have made a mistake?  Could family stories be but a story?  I have spent so much time untwisting the Illinois Richard Poundstones that it just occurred to me that my Richard would have served the state of Indiana not Illinois.  Guess I need to start my Richard's Civil War record search again in Indiana.



I also need to do some additional research on the "other" Richard to see is our family trees do at some point intersect.  The connection must be sometime prior to 1870.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poundstone Family death certificates

Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium