Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium
Dedicated in 1880, St. Mary’s hospital was fully supported by the residents of Tucson. Originally it had been planned as a school, however, the Bishop Salpointe decided to make the school a hospital as it neared its completion. The hospital opened with twelve beds, Dr. John C. Hardy, and four Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelot: Sister St. Martin Dunn, Sister Julia Ford, Sister Basil Morris, and Sister Mary John Noli.
A second story was added to the hospital in 1882. The physician staff grew by six and the hospital had the capacity of fifty beds by 1900.
The Arizona State Genealogical Society sells a book documenting admissions to the hospital 1909 to 1920.