Monday, October 3, 2011

Week #40 – Trouble - What happened when you got in trouble?

This weeks prompt for Week 40: Trouble
What happened when you got into trouble as a child? What was punishment like in your home?


When my mother or father was angry with me I would get sent to my room.  My room was actually one of my favorite places to be.  I had my books, my animals (birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, the cat - great napping company), a television, a stereo, everything I really enjoyed.  I do remember storming off and slamming my door but once I got to my room everything was fine.   


The one thing I do remember is the guilt.  I always felt guilty for being bad.  My parents yelled and then there was the talk:   "We know you are better then this" or the famous "We are so disappointed in your behavior".  The guilt was worse than any banishment to the room or chore I was require to do.  Somehow to this day I think my parents still use the guilt method on me, heaven knows I respond well to it.  


There may be a guilt gene in the family.  One of my youngest children would put herself in time out at the preschool.  The director would tell me about her time spent in timeout - the pat response was"I did something wrong, I was naughty and I don't want to discuss it".  The director thought as long as she was a happy child I shouldn't worry about it.  We never learned what "bad behavior" she did.  She did have a habit of cocking her head and saying Oy vey - I still to this day have no idea where she learned that.  






52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

No comments: