Week #40 – Trouble - What happened when you got in trouble?

This weeks prompt for Week 40: Trouble
What happened when you got into trouble as a child? What was punishment like in your home?


When my mother or father was angry with me I would get sent to my room.  My room was actually one of my favorite places to be.  I had my books, my animals (birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, the cat - great napping company), a television, a stereo, everything I really enjoyed.  I do remember storming off and slamming my door but once I got to my room everything was fine.   


The one thing I do remember is the guilt.  I always felt guilty for being bad.  My parents yelled and then there was the talk:   "We know you are better then this" or the famous "We are so disappointed in your behavior".  The guilt was worse than any banishment to the room or chore I was require to do.  Somehow to this day I think my parents still use the guilt method on me, heaven knows I respond well to it.  


There may be a guilt gene in the family.  One of my youngest children would put herself in time out at the preschool.  The director would tell me about her time spent in timeout - the pat response was"I did something wrong, I was naughty and I don't want to discuss it".  The director thought as long as she was a happy child I shouldn't worry about it.  We never learned what "bad behavior" she did.  She did have a habit of cocking her head and saying Oy vey - I still to this day have no idea where she learned that.  






52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poundstone Family death certificates

Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium

52 Ancestors: #1 William Adolph Emil Skibbe