FGS: Connect.Explore.Refresh - Planning for the experience FGS 2015





I have been coming up with a plan to make FGS and RootsTech conference the best they can possibly be.  It is a three part plan that will hopefully come together and provide the experience of a lifetime. I am also keeping in mind sometimes it is OK to fly by the seat of your pants. I missed out on  Geneablogger time at the SCGS Jamboree by trying to fit in every possible class.  What you learn socially is just as important as what you learn in the sessions. 

Part one of my plan:  Preparing for a visit to the Family History Library.
 I have been reviewing my database looking for research holes that could potentially be solved by locating information at the FHL.  I have been looking through the catalog for books and microfilm and organizing that information for the most efficient use of my library time.  I like to organize my research for each floor and then by area.  I have decided to add additional days to my visit for the library.  I did not want to allocate any FGS or RootsTech time for researching.

Part two of my plan:  Planning my conference time.
The number one reason for my attendance at the FGS conference is to help our society.  The tracks that interest me the most are Genealogical Society Leaders and Visionaries, the 21st Century Genealogical Society for Today and Tomorrow, Benefits & Projects, and Technology for the Future.  I am still debating whether or not to go to one or more of the luncheons.  I do know that I will not be able to attend every session that I wish to on Wednesday – why or why do they offer such tantalizing classes at the same time!    The offerings Thursday through Saturday will help better my skills as a genealogist.   I have had the opportunity to hear quite a few of the big name speakers at NGS and at local seminars.  I think I will do a little research on some speakers I have not heard and give some of them a chance.  I really am looking forward to some new speakers and topics.  The topics that interest me the most are DNA, Technology, Connecting to the Past with Military Commemorations, Standards and Practices, and A Retro Look at Organizing and Planning.

Part three of my plan:  Meet New People, Socialize and find a Seminar Speaker for 2016
This will be my first FGS conference but not my first conference.  The NGS conferences and SCGS Jamboree I have attended have brought many new friends and connections.  I had the pleasure of meeting folks from Arizona at the SCGS conference that have in turn attended Pima County Genealogy Society functions.  Taking the time to talk to people at the conferences have lead me to information on making our website,  incorporating  social media,  and so many ideas that benefit my personal research and the Pima County Genealogy Society.   


I guess I need to make a part four of my plan.  This Arizona girl is thinking she will freeze in SLC in February.  Time to do a little research on the weather.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for some great tips. This will be my first conference and I'm looking forward to it - albeit feeling overwhelmed.

Popular posts from this blog

Poundstone Family death certificates

Tucson History - St. Mary’s Hospital and Sanitarium